Kitchen islands – pro and con
Kitchen islands are popular, and for good reasons! Here are some of the advantages of a kitchen island:
- More counter space for food prep
- All that wonderful storage under the countertop.
- Additional seating options with bar stools or dining chairs along one or more sides.
- Becomes the heart of the kitchen and where everyone spends their time.
Less desirable kitchen island problems:
- May disrupt the flow of movement from stove, sink and refrigerator. Depends on kitchen layout.
- Limited appliance placement; the island will need it’s own electrical outlets and plumbing piping if a sink is installed.
- Can be costly (see item 2!) If no wiring or plumbing is involved, costs less.
- The kitchen must be spacious enough for an island. You don’t want to narrow the walking space too much.
If you see a kitchen island in your future, check with your contractor to be sure there is enough “walking around” space, so that the island will be a blessing and not a problem! Here are a few we have built for Whatcom county clients: