How to hire a remodeling contractor
So you’ve decided to take the plunge and upgrade that kitchen. You know it will cost quite a bit, and you want to be sure it is done right, with as few headaches as possible.
Nervous about hiring that contractor? Not to worry! Here are 5 steps you can take to ensure a smoothly running project with the outcome you want.
- Ask for recommendations from people you know for companies they are happy with.
- Research online for information on the type of projects you’re considering. That will give you a heads up on what the contractor is saying, and you will know what questions to ask.
- Verify that the contractor has the credentials required by your state. Ask for proof of insurance so you won’t get stuck with the bill if a worker is injured on your property.
- Be sure to get a written contract that details the exact work to be performed and the start date. Some contractors will use a scheduling program to estimate dates when specific phases of the job will occur.
- Contact your local home builders association for the names of member builders and remodelers; NAHB and the BIAWC are excellent resources.
NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) has a more comprehensive list of contractor search criteria.