We all want our kitchens to be a pleasant space to be in:
- Good lighting; ambient, task, and accent lighting.
- Everything stored close to where it will be used and is easy to find.
- Coordinated color scheme.
- Surfaces easy to clean and maintain.
- Appliances selected that are appropriate for the size of the kitchen, that fit with the style and decor, and that are the kind you like to use.
Nothing has been said about space; the shape (U, or L or galley arrangement?), or square footage! What is appropriate for one kitchen may not work for another. The problem of creating a fabulous kitchen comes down to what you can fit and where.
Not only must the kitchen fit the house it is in, it must fit the lifestyle of the users. Do you make elaborate sit down meals, or does your style tend toward quick simple meals?
If possible, homeowners today are opting to open up the kitchen to the eating area and the living room, if that works for the structure of the house. Structural interior walls have to be dealt with, if they exist, but the more open floor plan has gained in popularity in recent years.
Think about what works for you, analyze your existing kitchen and then gather lots of photos and ideas from the internet. Determine your budget, then you are ready to call your contractor!