Do you have a home built in the 1900’s to 1940’s?
Jeb Design/ Build blog has a great article on this topic. For a home of this vintage, there can be many things that could be upgraded, if it has been put off. Jeb has some practical suggestions for where to start.
- Add insulation in walls and attic
- Replace clay pipes (waste pipe may be clay)
- Prop up a sagging roof
- Update the windows – they may be single pane! Save some energy costs here.
- Update the electricity
- Inspect the ductwork
- Fix/ or replace plumbing fixtures
- Check for termites (or carpenter ants, while you’re under there)
I recommend that you go to the Jeb Design Build blog to get the full story on the suggested upgrades to your older home.