Here are some guidelines to help you with planning:
- Keep all piping and wiring where it is. (Don’t move the toilet, sink or shower!)
- Do replace tub/shower walls and door
- Have a new lav countertop installed.
- Replace all the hardware and bath mirror.
- Paint walls and cabinets.
- Replace the flooring.
- Have new light fixtures installed.
- Have have all new fixtures installed.
- Move a plumbing fixture or two – toilet, sink?
- New sink and faucet
- Heated tile floor installation
- All new surfaces
- Gut the room and reconfigure floor plan, perhaps even moving a wall.
- New wall
- Custom lav cabinet
- Custom tiled shower – walk-in shower?
- Custom storage cabinet
- Lighting features changed
However, even this is a simplification; the type of finishes selected make a big difference in cost, and the single most expensive change in a bathroom remodel are those requiring changes to the plumbing piping. So, if you keep the fixtures in same locations, costs will be greatly reduced.